In each episode of The Smarter Sales Show, you will get tech and technique to sell more and stress less. Here are the highlights of this episode on growing your business through referrals:
Technique Tips from Merit:
The Who-What-When-How Technique of growing your business through referrals is this:
- Who will you ask for referrals
- Clients: people who can speak to the work you do
- Influencers: people you won’t directly sell to but have influence with prospects
- What to say to them
- Clients: I can’t guarantee you will get the same results I did working with Merit, but I can guarantee it will be a worthwhile conversation. Can I introduce you?
- Influencers: I don’t know if it will make sense to do business with Merit, but if you’re open to it, I believe it makes a lot of sense to talk with her about (issue).
- When to ask
- Clients: When you’ve solved their problem and they thank you
- Influencers: Ask one a day
- How can I thank you for referring me
- Business-gifts-referral fee-donation to cause-reciprocal referrals
Technology Tips from Julie:
The first step is to cultivate referrals from clients by starting with testimonials. Use technology to keep track of your testimonials from emails, LinkedIn, Google company page, Website, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
When someone sends you an email, for example, with a nice compliment, send back a response asking them to post that on LinkedIn. Get your testimonials spread on all your possible social media channels.
The second step is about tracking referrals. Ideally, you have the ability to keep track of your referrals in your CRM, but Julie talks about two other systems you can use to track projects including who you have asked for referrals which are Asana and Trello. You can also track your email follow-ups by putting a trigger on that email. If the person being referred didn’t respond, your tech can alert you to go back to your referrer to ask them what you should do since you haven’t heard from the person they referred to you.
Finally, both experts agree, it is important to thank people for referring people to you. One way tech can make that easier is with an app called Ink which allows you to send a personalized card right from your digital device… even if you don’t have a stamp. Other thank you gift apps include SugarWish which allows the recipient to pick their favorite candy.
Smarter Sales Soundbites:
- “I’m not looking for you to introduce me to my next new client, I’m just looking to be introduced to someone who is open to hearing about my offer.”
- “Introduction is better than a referral.”
- “Reward the behavior you want to be repeated, not the result.”
- “Thank people for making introductions whether or not they turn into business.”
- “People who refer you want to know that it mattered.”
- “They are giving you trusted contacts. They deserve to know the results on that.”
- “The ability to track data about sales makes all the difference in your ability to know where to focus your efforts so that you aren’t wasting time and that you are really capitalizing and cultivating on the things that work best for you, for your clients and for your marketplace and your industry.”
- “f you use technology properly, it enables you to scale and to truly personalize what you’re giving them. And that is the way to everyone’s heart. Everybody wants to feel special.”
Referenced in This Episode:
www.asana.com – Project management with a GREAT free version
www.trello.com – Project management with a GREAT free version
www.activecampaign.com – Julie’s preferred email marketing platform
INK Cards for iOS – Create and send custom photo cards straight from your iPhone or iPad.
INK Cards for Android – Create and send custom photo cards straight from your Android device.
www.sugarwish.com – Candy gifts